Types of employment permissible for F-1 students

US Immigration regulation states that nonimmigrants, like people who have F-1 visas, are permitted to engage in employment only in situations which are authorized for their visa type. The F-1 visa is work-restrictive.  In order to maintain valid F-1 status, a student must not work in the United States, unless the employment is specifically authorized under the regulations.

Five categories of employment are available to F-1 students, three of which are described below:

For information on any of the following topics, please see an ISO Advisor. These are types of employment which are rarely granted, are specific to the student’s situation and involve complex immigration matters.

  • Employment with a qualifying International Organization.
  • Employment authorized due to severe economic hardship.
  • Employment authorized by the Special Student Relief Program.

Social Security Administration and Social Security Numbers

A Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number issued to people who are employed in the US. The number is issued by the Social Security Administration. The ISO does not issue Social Security Numbers. Its primary purpose is to track individuals for Social Security purposes, and a Social Security Number does not grant work authorization. Students on F-1 visas are eligible for a Social Security Number if they have been offered employment.

The ISO has developed a handout to help students understand how to apply for a Social Security Number.

Speak with an ISO Advisor!

Do you have a question about your F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor status? ISO Advisors are here to help! 

Make an Appointment